1.24.2010

Like Calamari

One of the reasons New York is perfect for me is because I've been in a constant state of motion since I got here. While exhilerating, it's also made blogging a bit problematic. And a little strange. I've realized that the best time for me to write is during the 15 minute train ride to and from work every day. As painful as it is to compose anything lengthy on a blackberry, I've decided that its better than nothing (problematic). I also feel most inspired to write in the morning and based on the nature of my current (2 roomates + 2 houseguests + 1 Linda ÷ tiny SoHo apartment = disasterous) living situation I'm never sure where I might wake up. For instance, coming to you live from my friend's roommate's who-slept-over-at-his-girlfriends-apt bed (a little strange). It feels like college all over again, but, trust me, after walking all across town and dancing until 4 am, you'd snooze wherever you landed, too!

The program is that I'll save my musings in a my "Idea File" and post them later when I have the chance. Sorry about the delay, but I've got some material from early last week. I'll try bringing it to you live-feed as soon as I iron out the kinks... Besos, enjoy!

Today is Tuesday, January 19 and my FIRST, first day back to work after a long weekend. ...Which was terrific! Saturday and Monday were two of the most gorgeous 45-degree days since I've arrived in the city and the sunshine has made all the difference. Unfortunately, Sat/Mon sandwiched an equally-miserable, hypothermic, rainy day. The gusty winds around Columbus circle made fools of umbrella holders and resulted in hundreds of disgarded umbrellas in various mangled calamari shapes lying in the streets and gutters --wounded soldiers in the wake of the storm. I wish I had had my camera to make a photo essay as I'm sure these things will soon seem ordinary. With so many millions of people living in Manhattan, the sheer reoccurance of mundane things (throwing broken umbrellas onthe ground) seem to make them extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment