1.07.2014

Knitty City NYC

A few weeks ago, I decided to learn how to knit. I'm sure it will be a hit, once I'm up and running - making sweaters for myself and anyone else who will let me take their measurements, but I am very much a beginner. 

I think it's important to be clear about that sort of thing (ability level) from the get-go, since salespeople quickly get carried away talking about "purl" this and "skein" that, and "flecked" and "cast on" and... whoa, whoa, WHOA. Slow down, lady, I have no idea what any of that means. It's humbling to know nothing, actually, I thought. 

The shop I visited yesterday is called Knitty City (W. 79th Street).

The first saleswoman kindly recommended six different types of yarn--from kettle dyed peruvian wool...omgggg gorgeous...to various budget options that are "always in stock" as she put it. I went with a light grey 100% wool for $10/skein because it was cheap and still a little chic. At her full mercy I bought size 9 circular bamboo needles, an $8 single pattern for a neckdown pullover sweater (with a roll neck sleeves and bottom) and two skeins for $35 total. 

The shop agreed to hold an additional 3 skeins for me to buy once I fully commit to the project. The sweater is really plain, but I need to start with something simple - plus, all the ladies that work there said it was a great pick for a beginner. I really like the sense of community and three of the four women working at the store were super friendly - two expect to see me again tomorrow, another planned to make a special trip to 116th Street in Harlem to buy the same black wedge high tops I wore into the store and the fourth woman is the owner, I'm guessing. She meant business, but I understand. Someone has to run the show.

I ended up staying for 2 hours... a fast-talking Jewish lady named Maxine showed me how to start my swatch and also how to purl. She reminds me of a few women I know, and I have a feeling she'll make a great teacher.

Its too cold outside today for motivating to go anywhere besides yoga class, but I'll venture back over to the shop tomorrow so Maxine can help me start my sweater. I sent a photo of the swatch to my mom and Granny last night, because its a funny, hole-y and awful mess. Hopefully its not a preview of things to come!!!! 

I need to work on my technique and pay better attention to which side I'm on

More knitting adventures on the way....

No comments:

Post a Comment